Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19): Get the latest information and resources here
Why choose a family doctor for maternity care?
- Family doctors are experts in normal pregnancy and birth, breastfeeding, and newborn care.
- Family medicine is a holistic style of care that addresses medical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual needs.
- Family doctors are unique in the broad range of knowledge and skills they bring to maternity care as a result of their experience providing comprehensive, continuous care throughout the life cycle.
- Family doctors provide excellent maternity care based on the best and most up-to-date evidence.
- Family doctors provide family-centered care, responding to the needs and wishes of individual women and their families.
- Family doctors have low rates of intervention (i.e. emergency surgical or medical procedures during labour) with healthy outcomes for women and babies.