Why choose a family doctor for maternity care?
- Family doctors are experts in normal pregnancy and birth.
- Family medicine is a holistic style of care that addresses the medical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual needs of patients
- Family doctors have unique knowledge and skills which we bring to the delivery of maternity care as a result of our experience in providing comprehensive, continuous care throughout the life cycle.
- Family doctors provide excellent maternity care which is based on the best and most up-to-date evidence.
- Family doctors provide family-centred care, responding to the needs and wishes of individual women and their families.
- Family doctors have lower rates of intervention (i.e. emergency surgical or medical procedures during labour) than obstetricians with equal or better outcomes for healthy pregnant women.