We are the Vancouver Division of Family Practice.
There is no one better qualified to provide comprehensive lifelong health care, including pregnancy care, than a Family Doctor.
The Vancouver Division of Family Practice (VDoFP) brings Lower Mainland family doctors together to improve the delivery of local health care. We are all committed to meaningful change that benefits patients, their families and our community at large.
The Vancouver Division is a not-for-profit society funded by the Government of British Columbia and Doctors of BC. We work in partnership with Vancouver Coastal Health, British Columbia Ministry of Health, Providence Health Care and other community partners.
Why choose a family doctor for maternity care?
- Family doctors are experts in normal pregnancy and birth.
- Family medicine is a holistic style of care that addresses the medical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual needs of patients
- We have unique knowledge and skills which we bring to the delivery of maternity care as a result of our experience in providing comprehensive, continuous care throughout the life cycle.
- We provide excellent maternity care which is based on the best and most up-to-date evidence.
- We provide family-centred care, responding to the needs and wishes of individual women and their families.
- Several research studies have revealed that family doctors have lower rates of intervention (i.e. emergency surgical or medical procedures during labour) than obstetricians with equal or better outcomes for healthy pregnant women.